cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Alternate of Cisco 7204VXR NPE-G2

ahmad82pkn
Level 2
Level 2

Hi I have 1 Cisco VXR NPE-G2, i was looking to buy another Cisco VXR of same model, but as per information they are now EOL/EOS.

Can any one recommend me alternate option of same speficiation as of VXR NPE-G2?

Cisco Data sheet dont seem to have clear comparison information, or you can say i am unable to comprehend it, i dont want to buy some thing that later dont pick the load when put in production.

As far physical interface is concerned, i only need 1 POS and 4 Giga Interfaces.

Appreciate your usual support

8 Replies 8

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Performance wise, the two closest routers should be the 3925E and the ASR 1000 with a 2.5 ESP.

thank you for your advise, i guess 3945E might be on lower side, ASR1000 looks to be valid option going forward.

appreciate your response.

What is the bandwidth you are expecting to push and are you planning to increase the bandwidth in the future.

If you are, the ASR "X" series is the way to go because you can "grow" the capabilities of the router as your bandwidth increases.  This option is better than buying a bigger model.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The 3945E, at 2.924 Mpps, is nominally faster than the NPE-G2, at 2 Mpps (the 3925E is rated at 1.845 Mpps).

The ASR 1000s are even faster; more expensive too.

ahmad82pkn
Level 2
Level 2

Thank you both of you for increasing my knowledgebase.

When it says 2.924 Mpps ,

doest that mean it support for  example,  if i have once interface then it would be packet out + packet  in on that interface= 2.924Mpps

second example

if  i have two interface then it would be [packet out + Packet in on one  interface ]+[Packet out + Packet in on 2nd interface] = 2.924Mpps

Below is Peak Time Traffic in/out on my all 4 interfaces, so what do you suggest Currently CPU is 70% on 7204VXR-NPE-G2

sh int gi0/1

30 second input rate 122833000 bits/sec, 43900 packets/sec

30 second output rate 43241000 bits/sec, 39799 packets/sec

3341170011 packets input, 4270151139 bytes, 0 no buffer

sh int Gi0/2

5 minute input rate 16253000 bits/sec, 17187 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 11397000 bits/sec, 14133 packets/sec

1293075423 packets input, 385558336 bytes, 0 no buffer

sh int PO1/1

5 minute input rate 40725000 bits/sec, 46424 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 113612000 bits/sec, 52927 packets/sec

3846806283 packets input, 506599338 bytes, 0 no buffer

sh int FastEthernet2/1

5 minute input rate 20489000 bits/sec, 33710 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 20578000 bits/sec, 33623 packets/sec

2133727269 packets input, 3753716904 bytes, 0 no buffer

So its Total if i ADD them ALL.

5 minute input is 200300000 bits/sec    141221 packets/sec

5 minute output is 188828000 bits/sec    140482 packets/sec

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The PPS rate (now adays) applies to how many minimum size Etherent packets can be forwarded without any other "services".

As a packet enters the device, it's only forwarded "once".

Normally, on many devices PPS rate drops (a lot) as packet size increases but because packet size is larger overall throughput generally increases (also a lot but usually a little less that it theoretically might be).

PPS rates can behave much different for the same traffic on different platforms with the same logical configurations.  For example, if the 3945E was 3 Mpps, i.e. 50% faster than a NPE-G2, it's not guaranteed the same logical configuration applied to exactly the same traffic will yield a 50% improvement (as one would expect).

If you don't expect much traffic growth, a 3945E might be fine, but at 70% I would looks for something at least twice as fast.

Ideally, you might find if you could try before you buy.

ahmad82pkn
Level 2
Level 2

thanx one thing that still confuse me, when it says 3945 support 502 Mbps.

Is 502Mbps for in + out? for example someone downloading heavy file on LAN side it will allow 512Mbps out and on WAN side it will allow 512 Mbps in?

or on LAN side it will allow 256Mbps out and on WAN side it will allow 256Mbps in?

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The 502 Mbps is for the 3945 (982 Kpps), not the 3945E (2,924 Kpps).

The 502 Mbps is based on a pure L3 64 byte packet, i.e. 64 bytes * 8 bits * 982,000 pps = 502,784,000 bps.  (BTW, bandwidth would be higher, for the same PPS, on Ethernet wire as there's also the L2 overhead per packet.)

Also a 3945 is noted as being capable of 8 Gbps for 1500 byte packets.

In theory, as Ethernet only allows a minimum 64 byte packet, this provides the worst case (min size packets), best cast (no other services) aggregate bandwidth that the router can forward.  Basically the sum of all your interface ingress rates or all your interface egress rates (x in should = x out).

For example, it could be 500 Mbps in LAN and 500 Mbps out WAN, 250 in and out LAN and 250 in and out WAN, 100 in LAN and 100 out WAN and 400 in WAN and 400 out LAN, etc.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card