Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA ISP Failover and DNS

mn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys and Girls

I have a Scenario where i setup a new isp as a failover on a asa firewall (no problem here)

But what about incomming traffic.

EG: ISP1 goes down and ISP2 takes over, then my public ip has changed .

Would you: Lower the TTL on the zone and correct the records manually, use dynamic DNS or is there an 3rd option i don't know about

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I have never used an ASA to peer with multiple providers, but Can't you just add the second ISP's DNS info to your firewall? This way when your public IP changes, you can still reach the secondary DNS.

Overall, as long ad both primary and backup providers DNSs are reachable, it shouldn't matter what public IPs you are using right?

HTH

Hi Reza.

Thank you for the answer, but the problem isn't outgoing dns, I'm worried about the incomming traffic.

EG: My ISP 1 has Multiple Public IP,s XXX.XXX.XXX.178-186 or something, then my ISP crash and the failover goes to ISP 2 which has public ip's XXX.XXX.XXX.223-228

How would my Public DNS server get updated easiest and fastest in order to keep the public services online ?

Hi,

I am not a DNS expert, so if I say something that doesn't make sense, please ignore it.  How about pointing to google DNS (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) or a name server like:

c.root-servers.net

This way, you don't have any dependency to any providers. As long as these IPs are reachable (using either one of the providers) you should be able to resolve.

HTH 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco