cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

[ASK THE EXPERTS Stumped] Bandwidth sharing via police exceed-action drop on Cisco Catalyst 3550s: anything less draconian?

FlaSheridn
Level 1
Level 1

Reposted from ServerFault.com, and ASK THE EXPERTS - QoS with Cisco expert Sarala Akella, where it didn't get an answer, except to confirm the omission of set-dscp-transmit from the 3560 manual.

I’m the chairman of the wiring committee for a hundred-unit condominium, andnot a Cisco expert.  We have a trio of Cisco Catalyst 3550 switches, connected to an old Cisco 1417 router, connected to a DSL connection which we realize we need to upgrade.  Our consultants configured, but did not enable, policing on each switch, so that each owner gets a guaranteed amount of bandwidth; once I enabled it (with mls qos), this seemed to work as documented:

policy-map USER_INGRESS

class ANY

police 32000 8000 exceed-action drop

policy-map USER_EGRESS

class DSCP0

police 96000 24000 exceed-action drop

But we were sold the switches on the basis that rationing would be more flexible when all the bandwidth wasn’t being used up, which this doesn’t seem to do.

Cisco IOS Quality of Service Solutions Command Reference 12.2 seems to suggest that set-dscp-transmit 0 might mark excess packets as best-effort, which I’d hoped would act sensibly at times of low usage.  But it looks like this isn’t supported on our switches; trying to enable it gives % Invalid input detected at '^' marker at the beginning of set-dscp-transmit.

I might be able to offer more than just reputation points for hand-holding on followup issues; I’ve got a budget for some consulting hours, and might get approval for ongoing consulting.

References

1 Reply 1

FlaSheridn
Level 1
Level 1

The Cisco expert (Sarala Akella) was wrong; the 3550 does support policed-dscp-transmit, though I haven’t gotten it to work usefully yet, since I need to figure out mls qos map policed-dscp first.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card