Helpful
Replies

ASR 1001 IOS Upgrade - PAK and feature license

jbluciani
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Support Community,

I would like to upgrade the OS of an ASR 1001 (IOS XE UNIVERSAL) like this:

From       asr1001-universal.03.10.03.S.15.3(3)S3-ext.bin + 'Advanced IP Services'  feature set

To           asr1001-universalk9.03.10.04.S.15.3(3)S4-ext.bin + 'Advanced IP Services'  feature set

My questions are:

- If I load the new image in the bootfash, erase the old one and reboot the ASR, how to be sure that this OS will be operational without any license?

- Do I need a new Product Activation Key (PAK) to get a license and activate the 'Advanced IP Services' Feature Set?

- If not, how to be sure that this feature set will be active once the OS loaded?

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

If you upload the new IOS XE image change the boot statement in the config to the new image, then reboot, this should not have any change to how the ASR was operating before. (do read the release notes though in case)

If you already have the Advanced IP services license installed, you will not need another one. This stays with the ASR even when you change the IOS XE image on your ASR. I think actually the show ver will show the license information too.

#################################################

show license all - this command will show you detailed information about license on your ASR

conf t

license boot level advipservices - this will ensure your next boot uses this feature set.

hth

Bilal

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

If you upload the new IOS XE image change the boot statement in the config to the new image, then reboot, this should not have any change to how the ASR was operating before. (do read the release notes though in case)

If you already have the Advanced IP services license installed, you will not need another one. This stays with the ASR even when you change the IOS XE image on your ASR. I think actually the show ver will show the license information too.

show license all - this command will show you detailed information about license on your ASR

conf t

license boot level advipservices - this will ensure your next boot uses this feature set.

hth

Bilal

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card