Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR 5K - Console shows gibberish

Ron Baduach
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi All ,

I'm working at Cisco Lab Staff , and we've got a problem with our ASR 5K .

the problem is that when i connect to the device via console port , i saw only strange signs like :

םםם{wowwk{wwkkwwkwowuw½½½»wmk¿k

of course i've already tried all the familiar solutions like change the baud-rate value, change my remote control software , trying to connect from another PCs .

i'm just lost .

can you please assist with that , did you know what can i do  ,or who can i ask for it ? (the device is little bit old , so it got no warranty) .

thanks a lot ,

Ron .

5 Replies 5

Ron Baduach
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please , someone .

Hello, If you have tried:changing the console cablechecking the console settings like baud rate etc...changing PC/Laptopchecking the driver for console if you require itchanging the terminal application, like SecureCRT or Putty

If so i would strongly advise to seek help from Cisco TAC if you have tried standard console settings http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-worldwide-contacts.html

Hth.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

I would agree that almost all of the cases I know of where the console output is gibberish have been caused by mismatches in speed setting between the console port and the emulation software. In my experience the only other cause of this symptom was a fatal hardware error that led to RMA. So lets hope it is the speed setting.

My first suggestion is that the options for speed for N5K are slightly different from the options most of us are familiar with

speed {300 | 1200 | 2400 | 4800 | 9600 | 38400 | 57600 | 115200}

So my first question is whether you have actually attempted each of these speed settings in your terminal emulator software?

My second question is what terminal emulator software are you using? My experience is that some of the emulator software require that you stop and restart a connection when you change a setting such as speed. So my second suggestion is that you go through the process of changing the speed in your emulator software (using all of the speed options) and being sure to stop the connection and restart the connection after you have changed a speed setting.

My third question is whether you have access to the N5K while it is running (via SSH etc)? My third suggestion would be to use the command show line console and post the output so that we can see information about the console line.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

First , thanks Bilal for your help , and of course that i tried all what you've suggested .

Secondly , Richard ,

Yes , i've tried all speed's options and restart the session .

I tried to do this action with "Putty" & "SecureCRT" .

About the third question , the answer is No , i do not have another access to the N5K  .

Do you guys think that TAC is my last resort ?

Baduach Ron

Ron

I am sorry to say that I do not see any option other than TAC.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card