Helpful
Replies

Backed up VPN connection

CSCO11068191
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guy,

I'm in a small pickle

I need to create a VPN connection between head quarter and three branches but i need to make a back up connection for each HQ to Branch

I don't want to load balance just a failing over back up

What router do you recommand me to use and what back up technology is suitable ??

If you need any details regarding the network plz ask

Thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

You don't specify what you want to backup. Do you wan't to protect against an interface-failure, device-failure or ISP-failure?

A quite common scenario is the following:

Two routers on the HQ, one or two routers in the branch (depending on their importance).

The branches with one router have two IPSec-VPN-Tunnel, one to each HQ-Router. On the branches with two routers, one router connects to HQ1-router, the other connects to HQ2-router. With the help of a routing-protocol you control which tunnel should be prefferred.

This scenario can be implemented with the small 800-series routers up to the bigger 2900/3900 and beyond. The decision is then only based on the expected throughput. You only have to male sure that you buy the router with the Security-Feature-set.

And if you want to make sure that a failing ISP doesn't bring your VPN down, order two lines from different ISP.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Thank for your response man

Actually it's a small company so it won't require more than 2600 series i guess but i'm not sure

The thing is we have only one real IP and three sites

I want to back up the interface failure

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card