Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Default Route Design

Adam Frederick
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I have 6 sites on an MPLS network connected over BGP.  I have 2 sites that have Internet access available via local firewall.

I would like to re-route all sites to the second site if the first site were to go offline.  The first site will always be the default if online.

In looking, there are a couple of ways of accomplishing this, one being redistribution.  However I'm reading alot of resistance to going that route as it could create routing loops and feedback. 

Would sending the 0.0.0.0/0 out of the second site with a route-map with a community string be the best way to go here?

Thanks for any input,

Adam                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Adam,

>> Would sending the 0.0.0.0/0 out of the second site with a route-map with a community string be the best way to go here?

Both sites can send the default route with a different BGP community attached to it

On all other sites you can have a route-map inbound giving higher local preference or weight to the route with the BGP community coming from the primary site.

You have even the capability to prefer a different route in different set of other sites if desired.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Adam,

>> Would sending the 0.0.0.0/0 out of the second site with a route-map with a community string be the best way to go here?

Both sites can send the default route with a different BGP community attached to it

On all other sites you can have a route-map inbound giving higher local preference or weight to the route with the BGP community coming from the primary site.

You have even the capability to prefer a different route in different set of other sites if desired.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card