Helpful
Replies

BGP behavior on route-map

Roel Reyes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, 

It's strange what happen to my BGP router, 

i have route map set local preference to 110 applied on both of my Ustream so they would balance my outbound traffic, 

what happen is i tried to adjust my local preference on other ISP to a value of 150 and my BGP teared down, re-establish and prefix was reloaded again, why is that it applied automatically? 

i thought, it can only be applied after i reset BGP session or  do clear ip bgp soft in to prevent BGP tearing down. 

2 Replies 2

Hello,

interesting. Do you have soft reconfiguration configured ? Can you post the configs of both ends ?

Also, check with 'show ip bgp neighbor x.x.x.x' if both ends support route refreshing, if they do, you should find a line like the one below:

Neighbor capabilities:
Route refresh: advertised and received(new)

That said, soft reconfig would take precedence...

Yes i have that configurations, 

Test 1.PNG

Im not sure regarding the other side configurations since this is a live config.

This also happen during AS prepending to the other upstream, Route-map take effect immediately and more inbound traffic is received from this upstream as expected, BUT BGP was not tear down, 

I dont know if this is hardware issue, since im getting full routing table on my upstreams, and when i try to adjust local pref on route map, both of my upstream went down but immediately established its peering on both of them, Remember i haven't yet done "clear ip bgp neighbor x.x.x.x" to let the route map take effect 

Thanks Sir. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card