Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP design help

josephp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folk,

I need a little help, I have a requirement that need to meet. Basically the scnario is I have two sites DC and main office, and own an AS and a block of /20 public range. Currently BGP is multihomed on the DC with 2 different providers and advertising a /24, and receiving the full routes. We have a requirement/plan on running BGP on the office advertising another /24, however we will only receive a default route on this peering. We don't want to have the DC and the office have an iBGP peering with each other basically treating it as independent sites. Is it possible to have this configuration?

Thank you, in advanced I appreciate it.

Sincerely,

JP

4 Replies 4

Mohamad Qayoom
Level 3
Level 3

Add a default route on main office pointing to DC. Add static route on DC for the network on main office.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Kishore,

Thank you for the update.

When you say independent sites. do they talk to each other? <== yes the 2 sites talk to eachother through OSPF on the private ip address.

If yes, then, are you running IGP between your HO and DC? If IGP <== no there will be no IBGP peering between the sites. They will be advertising their own block of /24 to their EBGP peer.

I am assuming the DC's here woulld have DMZ's, firewall etc. <== Yes there will be a set of firewalls on both sites.

Attached is a diagram for reference. Will this work?

thank you,

JP

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the diagram. Looking at your diagram, at a high level, I can suggest that you can redist the default route into OSPF at your HO on R2. The default route will be propagated across the DC as well and other L3 devices. So , if the devices want to reach something that is not in the routing table the traffic will be routed via the HO.

The DC is receiving full routes , hence those prefixes should be in the routing table on R1. and your firewalls will be doing whatever they need to do between your DMZ's and all

Please let me know if you need more info

HTH

Regards

Please rate if helpful

Hi

When you say independent sites. do they talk to each other? If yes, then, are you running IGP between your HO and DC? If IGP, then, you can redistribute the default route at HO into the IGP and it runs across the IGP.

I am assuming the DC's here woulld have DMZ's, firewall etc. and the HO is for internet. would I be right?

Is this something you looking for?

HTH,

Regards,

Please rate if helpful

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card