Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Dual AS Configuration

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi all,

Just looking at the feature note for this feature at the following url, and I am a bit confused.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1829/products_feature_guide09186a00802c0816.html

Under the section "Dual-AS Configuration: Example", it states that "the transition needs to occur without interrupting service to Router 3". I fail to see how that is possible without service interruption. From what I can gather, the following is being done:

1. The BGP peering is being moved from Router2 to Router1 (including the physical serial link) - that's gotta take a hit.

2. Since Router1 is using the dual-as keyword, when Router3 changes its peering to be to AS100 now, no changes need to be done on Router1. However, the bgp session will still take a hit.

3. When the local-as statement is removed on Router1 (after Router3 is migrated), there is no hit to the BGP peering session.

Can someone explain ?

I've got another query regarding the same document - this time it's example "Replace-AS Configuration: Example"

The config used is:

router bgp 64512

neighbor 10.3.3.33 local-as 300 no-prepend replace-as

neighbor 10.3.3.33 remove-private-AS

If the replace-as keyword is used, I understand that this bgp speaker will only pre-pend AS 300 to the AS-Path on outgoing updates, and not AS 64512 followed by AS 300. So why do we need the remove-private-as statement ?

All responses appreciated.

Cheers,

Paresh.

6 Replies 6

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Anyone at all ??

Paresh.

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This configration example need to be revised. Router 1 and 2 configuration are referring to the same router. Router 2 shows the configuration before the migration from AS 200 to 100 and router 1 shows the after migration configuration.

As you mentioned, going from configuration 1 to 2 will reset the session.

As for your second comment, you are correct the remove-private-AS would not be required in this scenario.

I will report this to the documentation team.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks again, dude...

Are you happy to take more of these issues up or is there a better process to get these changes done ? Pls do let me know..

Regards,

Paresh.

Paresh,

It is perfectly fine with me. If I can be of any help in investigating these issues and then report them to the documentation team, it makes my day. I would like to thank you as well for taking the time to review these documents. It probably helps a whole lot of other people.

Thanks,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Cool...

I've got a few more of these that I might send to you shortly. Would it help to use a prefix on the subject for such conversations so that we can make sure that you do see them ?

Thanks.

Paresh.

"Documentation:" should be fine.

Thanks,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19