Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP & iBGP

ishwarshrestha
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

As shown in network diagram, Just wondering if it is mandatory to run iBGP in Switch1 and Switch2. 

I guess it should be okay if it  we run  iBGP in both boarder routers and use default-information originate in BR1 and BR2 with metric.

Pls suggest me.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

"Mandatory"?  No, but when working with multiple BGP gateway AS routers, and IGP defaults, you got to be careful you don't create routing loops between the two protocols.

An example of such a problem situation, suppose your IGP default points to BR1, but once traffic gets there, BR1 wants to send the traffic out to BR2.  If your internal topology is such it believes the best way from BR1 to BR2 is starting with switch 1 (assuming it's routing), then switch 1 will send the traffic back to BR1, and you have a routing loop.

If BR1 believes the best path to BR2 is via the direct link between them, as shown on your diagram, you're okay.  But what if that link fails?

There are several methods to avoid the routing loop situation, one being having any transit routers, between BR 1 and 2 also running iBGP.  Another would be to inject the BGP routes into the IGP (generally not done, although a possible solution when working with non-Internet).  Another might be to build some kind of tunnel between BRs 1 and 2 (GRE, MPLS tunnel).  Another, would be to use a VLAN to have the two BRs be on the same internal network.

Thanks Joseph for suggestion.

My initial plan was to running iBGP in all core devices but some reason it is giving issue.

and this is my alternate plan.

1. We have Transit 1 and Transit 2 provider and we are receiving entire IPv4 routing from both of them.

2.We are running iBGP between BR1 and BR2 and OSPF as IGP.

3.OSPF default information originate is set up  in both BR routers.( primary BR1 and Secondary BR2)

4. My plan is to set up ospf cost between Switch2 6509 and BR2 so that traffic flows always from Switch2-Switch1-BR1 in normal condition. It will take path Switch1-Switch2-BR2 if links between Switch1 and BR1 fails.

5. and adding extra connection between BR2 and BR1 as back up link.

- I think even though link between BR1 and BR2 fails, it should not make any issue as traffic will flow via BR1 and all the outgoing traffic will go via Transit2.But there will be incoming traffic from BR2 ( I think it will not make any issue).

I have attached new diagram with some more detail.

I guess this will works fine or I miss something pls suggest me

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card