cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Block Bittorrent

Ricky Sandhu
Level 3
Level 3

Every now and then I find myself in this predicament.  Someone, somewhere was being naughty and downloaded all seasons of Frasier while on our guest wireless network (i.e. using personal device) and now we got a letter in the mail from the film company which means we need to do something about it.  I've played around with NBAR2 protocol-packs in the past with the ISRG2 routers where I could set a policy to drop P2P traffic (including encrypted-bittorrent) and it works well for a while, until it happens again.  I am also now finding that the "drop" option is no longer available as part of the 4000 Series routers (IOS-XE) and instead I can apply a whole load of QoS techniques to try and limit this traffic.  This seemingly slows and even sometimes stops torrent downloads, for about a minute, until torrents literally take off again. 

So I decided to check here and see if anyone else has any new suggestions?  Thank you for your time in advance.

2 Replies 2

Hello,

not sure what you have already configured, but something like the below could work:

ip cef
!
ip nbar protocol-discovery
!
class-map match-any BLOCK_P2P_CM
match protocol bittorrent
match protocol kazaa2
match protocol gnutella
!
policy-map BLOCK_P2P_PM
class BLOCK_P2P_CM
police cir 8000 conform-action drop exceed-action drop
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0
service-policy input BLOCK_P2P_PM

Hi Georg, I've done that exactly earlier today.  It seems to block the traffic for a while until the software figures a way around it and downloads literally hit almost 50 Mbps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card