Views
Helpful
Replies

C897VAW Memory Upgrade 512MB to 1GB FL-8XX-512U1GB

woter1832
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm a little confused. I want to upgrade my router to 1GB of flash memory, however, the only reference to any part is FL-8XX-512U1GB, however the description says "feature license".

From that, I conclude the router already has a 1GB DIMM in it, but I have to pay to make use of it. 

Can anyone confirm if my conclusion is correct please?

T, W.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Correct, the image in the flash is unpacked into RAM. You can delete this image from flash and then copy the new image onto the flash, and then reboot.

Before doing the reboot I would suggest using the "verify" command to test the image and make sure it is not corrupt.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The built in flash is not upgradeable.  I've never ran out of flash on these units before.

There this is a USB port if you want to plug in a usb flash drive for storing data ...

Hi Philip,

Thanks for your reply that I must say is a little worrying on a few counts.

1). What is FL-8XX-512U1GB  "512 MB DRAM upgrade to 1 GB for Cisco 892FSP, 896VA, 897VA, 897VAB, 898EA, 891F model (Feature License)" listed under "Memory Options"?

2). I've just upgraded the IOS to 15.6.3M4 (92 MB) and been having all sorts of browsing issues, so I thought I'd try 15.7.3M1 (91 MB), however, as I have CCP express 3.5 installed (cheating, I know!), there isn't enough room to upload it. I believe I can't delete 15.6...img file because I assume the router is using it, unless it loads it into NVRAM and I can delete it?

I'm not storing anything intentionally and I have cleared every .gz / .tar file that I believe is safe to do so, unless it saves logs somewhere that I haven't noticed.

Is it possible to boot from USB? From the ISO CLI options for boot system ?, I guess not. 

Thanks again.

W.

Well that is interesting.

Is that part number available as a spare part (which has an = after it) - or only at the time of order?

You can not boot from USB.

From various shops such as this, it does have an '=', so I guess it's a spare part, but there isn't an '=' on the datasheet.

I'm just trying to fathom if I've bought a house with a swimming pool but got to pay extra before I can use it!

Thanks

W.

douglas.hall
Level 1
Level 1

The FL-8XX-512U1GB is a software license to enable an additional 512MB of memory to be used that is already present in the device but not enabled without the license. 

However you appear to be confusing flash memory with RAM. This upgrade is for the latter. I don’t believe the flash is upgradable on an 897. 

If if you order it you’ll get a piece of paper (or an email) with a PAK number you can use to generate a license via Cisco’s online portal.

@douglas.hall, You're right! Obviously, I was being stupid and getting confused by RAM and Flash memory.

Interestingly, I have the line:

license feature MEM-8XX-512U1GB

and show license detail:

C897VAW#sh license detail
Index: 1        Feature: MEM-8XX-512U1GB                   Version: 1.0
        License Type: RightToUse
        License State: Active, In Use
        License Count: Non-Counted
        License Priority: Low
        Store Index: 2
        Store Name: Built-In License Storage

show version reveals:

Cisco C897VAW-E-K9 (revision 1.0) with 857164K/60339K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID {Serial#}
1 DSL controller
1 Ethernet interface
10 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
1 ATM interface
1 terminal line
1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module
1 cisco Embedded AP (s)
DRAM configuration is 32 bits wide
255K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
3928047K bytes of USB Flash usbflash0 (Read/Write)
250880K bytes of ATA System CompactFlash (Read/Write)

However, according to this article, to work out the total DRAM, I should add 857164K + 60339K = 114MB. So where's the rest of it?

And the all-important flash is 256MB.

Perhaps the DRAM is being used by the embedded AP?

cisco AP802AGN-E-K9 (revision A0) with 110592K/20480K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID {serial#}
 CPU at 900Mhz, revision number 0x0000
Last reset from power-on
1 Gigabit Ethernet interface
2 802.11 Radios

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
Base ethernet MAC Address: 70:CA:9B:E9:59:9A
Part Number                          : 74-8619-02
PCB Serial Number                    : FOC16524K8T
Top Assembly Part Number             : 800-37123-01
Top Assembly Serial Number           : {serial#}
Top Revision Number                  : A0
Product/Model Number                 : AP802AGN-E-K9

110592K + 20480K = 16Mb. Not that then.

CCP express shows:

897Memory.png

114+16 = 130. Perhaps this is referring to "second core memory"?

So would you say I do already have the extra DRAM? I'm confused why it doesn't seem to be using it though.

Thanks

W.

As there isn't space to hold the current IOS image and the new one in flash and now I've sorted the fact that my router only has 256MB of flash and there's no way of upgrading it, am I right in thinking the IOS image is loaded into RAM at run time, therefore, I am safe to delete the image from flash in order to upload a different image? 

I might upload an older and smaller IOS image so I can boot from it in rommon if it fails to load the new image.

Thanks again,

W.

Correct, the image in the flash is unpacked into RAM. You can delete this image from flash and then copy the new image onto the flash, and then reboot.

Before doing the reboot I would suggest using the "verify" command to test the image and make sure it is not corrupt.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: