cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I use the two GE of ISR for redundant connections?

syip
Level 1
Level 1

I am planning to connect the 2 GE (the on board routing interfaces) of a 2800 ISR router to two 3750 switches in a stack to provide redundancy in case one of the switch in the stack goes. How should I configure the ISR router? I think may be I can use the backup interface; or use channel-group command or CRB command to put both GE in the same bridge group or in a GE channel. Has anyone try something similar? Please comment on feasibility, simplicity and performance if possible.

3 Replies 3

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

Depending on what kind of interface the gigs are on 2800 ISR, you can have L2 redundancy or layer 3 redundancy. If the gigs on 2800 ISR supports etherchannel then you can use etherchannel whether they are L2 or L3. The 3750 supports inter-stack channeling. If the 2800 supports channeling this might be the best way to go, it will give you layer 1 redundancy and it will combine both interfaces b/w to create a logical pipe that combines both of the interfaces b/w, hence channeling. Keyword is "if" the 2800 ISR supports channeling.

Please rate helpful posts.

This is actually one of the question I am asking - does the on-board GE (L3 only) of ISR 2800 support etherchannel.

That answer is no etherchannel on built in interfaces.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/ps5855/products_qanda_item0900aecd80169bf0.shtml

Can't give you a lot of guidance on this I would be using a layer 3 routing protocol and point to point links to the 3750s. I tend to dislike any form of bridging or spanning tree.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card