Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3650 IOS Upgrade | Install vs Bundle mode

umer zubairi
Level 1
Level 1

Gents, 

Install vs Bundle mode?

What's your opinion which mode is best to upgrade the 3650 switches when all the units are individually deployed (not stacked).

1. Does Cisco ship the switches with Install mode?
  2. What happens with the existing image on the switch? Does the new image override the old one? Can I possibly leave the old image the way we do when archiving with tar files?

I checked the below release notes for the IOS version I'm planning to use:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3650/software/release/3e/system_management/configuration_guide/b_sm_3e_3650_cg/b_sm_3se_3650_cg_chapter_010101.html#reference_719DA7B773B749119559178C4B8E9173

This document shows below command to upgrade with install mode:

software install file tftp://172.19.211.47/cat3k_caa-universalk9.SSA.03.12.02.EZP.150-12.02.EZP.150-12.02.EZP.bin

I don't know why the file name is so big here as I couldn't find any release with such a big file name for catalyst 3650 series. 

Is there any additional info to be added in the syntax whilst giving the file name?

Any idea champs?

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Does Cisco ship the switches with Install mode?

Yes. 

When in Bundle mode, the appliance will "unpack" the BIN file before the IOS gets loaded.  This "unpacking" process is the same process in Install mode.  This is why it takes a lot longer to boot up a switch in Bundle mode vs Install mode.

Thanks Leo, but do I need to free up the space in memory (in case if needed) while upgrading with Install Mode or old image will automatically be replaced with the new one?

By the way which mode is best and what Cisco actually recommends for 3650 series, I mean do you have any Cisco link showing the recommendation?

Please do let me know.

but do I need to free up the space in memory (in case if needed) while upgrading with Install Mode or old image will automatically be replaced with the new one?

Depends entirely on the IOS version and the available free space in the flash.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card