Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3750X Requirements

jpl861
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

We are planning to buy 3750X switches and we do not know what the requirements are.

We are planning to get this one, WS-C3750X-48P-S. We are planning to buy two but I do not know if I need to get another pair of power supply since I am going to run these switches in stack. These will be data center switches and PoE will not be used. Is it ok to run stack-power even though we only have single power supply on each switch?

Another thing, what is this?

C3750X-LIC=

Product activation keys for 3750-X Series

We also need to upgrade the switch into IP Services platform but we do not know which one to buy.

C3750X-24-IOS-S-E

C3750X-24 IP Base to IP Services factory IOS Upgrade

C3750X-48-S-E=

C3750X-48 IP Base to IP Services Paper License

L-C3750X-48-S-E=

C3750X-48 IP Base to IP Services E-License

I already saw the pricing of the Service Factory upgrade and it's too expensive but I need to know if the other two (Paper or E-License) will be cheaper and will not give a hassle when I decide to upgrade the switch.

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this  posting offers the information contained within this posting without  consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no  implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If you have no need for PoE, you might want to get none PoE variants (if they are available).  Might find this reduces cost.

Yes you can use stack power, and if you do, you can size your power supplies such that if each unit has a single power supply it has the capacity to power the other unit if the other unit's power supply fails.

I'm not current on all the ins and outs of licensing, but would be surprised if you can obtain the same IOS license features as upgrades for less than the service factory cost.  More likely you might be comparing apples and oranges but I could be mistaken.

ashok_boin
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

I am not sure whether you can order "C3750X-48-S-E=" as I could not able to locate this in Cisco DCT tool. But, there would not be any difference among all the given options in cost.

Factory IOS upgrade - which can upgrade to IP Services before new switch arrived to your premises. C3750X-48-S-E= - This license can be ordered later when you need IP services on your existing switch.

Regards...

-Ashok.

With best regards...
Ashok

Thanks. I already got the quotation for all 3 licenses and it appeared that the paper and E-License are more expensive than the factory upgraded one.

Now I just want to make sure that two 3750X with one power supply each and run stack-power would be a solution for a redundant power supply. This way i do not need to purchase two more PSUs. I am hoping that even though I only have one power supply on each switch, if the PSU fails then the other switch can supply power to the other one.

First and foremost, WHAT are you trying to achieve?  Why is it a "big deal" about getting the Layer 2 or Layer 3?  Do you need to run Layer 3? What is the switch stack to be used for?  Give us information about what you are trying to do.  3750X in a data centre is a two-edged sword.  You need to know what you want to use this for or it will work in a different sort of way.

To answer your question, I am trying to achieve POWER REDUNDANCY. It is a big deal for me to run layer 3 because i am going to do full EIGRP and not stub. The data center is not that big that's why I am not opting for 6500 or 4500 switches.

Hi John,

Yes, you can have power sharing using "Cisco Stack Power" technology which is supported on 3750x switches. So, you can achieve your objective of haivng one PS in each switch and acting as redundancy for another switch.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/data_sheet_c78-584733.html

But, you need to take little extra caution about the total power requirements for both switches and design the single power supply accordingly. Though the power supply in one switch can act as redundant power supply for another switch, the power supply should support to supply the total wattage power required.

Hope it helps...

Regards..

-Ashok.

With best regards...
Ashok
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card