Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3845 CME IOS upgrade issues

shahidazad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are having an issue that CME router (Cisco 3845) reboots by itself daily at a fixed time 4:07AM. We did RMA and got a new router from Cisco and replaced with the production one. The same happened with the new router as well. We checked that it happens when remote monitoring system takes the backup daily at 4:00am so the reboot happens right after that. We removed ftp configuration so the remote monitoring system shouldn't take backup.

We also checked UPS and everything and there is no power issues that are causing the router to reload daily at fixed times.

The router is currently running with IOS version C3845-SPSERVICESK9-M, Version 12.4(11)XW1. We tried to upgrade the IOS to c2800nm-spservicesk9-mz.124-24.T1.bin, after upgrade, all phones were not getting registered (total 102 phones, 52 were getting registered). We checked that we lost some of the ephone and button configurations. Tried to add manually, while adding ephone, getting error 'couldn't add peer', we then google the problem and found a workaround to decrease the ephone-dn assuming it might be a memory issue (max-ephone = 240 and max-ephone-dn = 480), but it didnt work. We then did no max-ephone and no max-ephone-dn and reload the machine and added the same, tried to add ephone-dn, still got the same error 'couldn't add peer'. I reverted back to the orignal ios then and uploaded the configuration, it worked fine.

I again tried yesterday a fairly new IOS c3845-spservicesk9-mz.124-24.T2.bin that didnt work (though did the above workaround as well) then tried another one c3845-spservicesk9-mz.124-24.T3.bin, exactly the same issues .e., ephone-dn configuration and button x:x from ephone got removed upon upgrade of new ios).

Could someone please advise what might be the issue with the router reload by itself, and which ios should I try ti fix the issue?

Much appreciated.

Shahid

1 Reply 1

Rozsa Illes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Shahid,

We are facing two issues here.

- The reload after the backup seems more like a software problem but we would need the crashinfo file to look into. At the same time, the IOS is indeed quite old and trying to upgrade is a good idea. However, I would recommend 12.4(24)T5 minimum or rather 15.0/15.1M if the memory allows it.

- The issue with the upgrade when certain commands are not recognized and the phones not getting registered is a different question. I am not very familiar with voice and I think there would be more replies if you posted this question in the voice section of the support forum. What I could check is that 12.4XW migrates back to 12.4(20)T so the features should be there.

I hope this helps.

Warm Regards,

Rose

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card