cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4948 Switch no enabling IP Routing

kelvin4
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 4948 switch which does not want to enable IP Routing.

It is running bootflash:cat4000-i5k9ls-mz.122-25.EWA7.bin.

It seems to perform normally in all other functions.

I would value very much any help you may have to get this switch working.

7 Replies 7

Iulian Vaideanu
Level 4
Level 4

Not necessarily related to your IP routing problem, but your IOS version is way too old, not to mention deferred (pulled back by Cisco because of serious issues) - if you want to stick to IOS 12 I'd choose 12.2.53-SG11.

This is the deferral reason for 12.2(25)EWA7 (depending on what you mean by "does not want to enable IP routing", this may actually be related to your issue):

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCsh25687

Thanks. I am trying to find a newer version.

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Do you get an error when trying to enable routing?

kelvin4
Level 1
Level 1

I have finally managed to get the switch up to the latest os

Cisco IOS Software, Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch Software (cat4500-ENTSERVICESK9-M), Version 15.0(2)SG10, 

I have entered the "IP routing" command and although it looks like it is starting the service it does not appear in the running config.

When I enter the "IP routing" command I do not receive any error messages.

The battle continues.

All help is most welcome.

-

I think the IP routing is enabled by default - that is, you would see "no ip routing" in the running config, but not "ip routing"...

Thanks to the advice on all on here I can now confirm that IP routing is running and the the IOS is good.

Many thanks to you all.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card