Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 877 and Management Access via Public Interface

augnevenok
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have Cisco 877 device, I can connect to it via telnet, ssh or SDM from internal network with no problems. I would like to enable ssh and SDM access on the Public interface to manage the device from outside.

In SDM when I go to Additional Tasks -> Router Access -> Management Access I cannot select my Public interface from the drop-down list.

When I run a firewall wizard and try to enable Public interface for SDM and SSH I am getting a message that I need a static IP address configured on my Public interface.

In the list of interfaces my Public interface is PPPoA and IP address is set to "IP Negotiated", if I change it to static and enter IP that I got from provider aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd /32 I am getting "Please enter a valid IP address and a subnet mask" message. And I cannot think of anythig else to try.

Is there any way to enable SDM and SSH access on the public PPPoA interface?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Alex

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Alex

If you want to enter the IP address on your outside interface you need to know the correct subnet mask to go with the IP address. Your provider should be able to give you that information.

Jon

I have PPPoA with static IP and provider gave me an IP and the mask 255.255.255.255

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card