cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 881 Router with 10 Mbps WAN?

manish.gangal
Level 1
Level 1

Will I face any performance issues if I use a Cisco 881 Router with WAN speeds upto 10 Mbps? I am more interested in knowing the effects on Hardware Resources such as CPU Utilization & Memory Utilization which is the primary concern of my customer. The customer traffic is consistently expected around 8-10 Mbps during business hours which will put lots of strain on the resources however due to limited budgets the 800 is more preferred over 1900.

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

880 is rated to push 25.6 Mbps (single-direction traffic, no encryption).  

Half the value of 25.6 and you'll get a rough estimate of a simultaneous two-way traffic (download and upload) but without any encryption.  

My recommendation is to load the DRAM and Flash to it's maximum. 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The 881 might be overstressed to support up to 10 Mbps (duplex).

Have you've also consider the 890 series?

I've attached a Cisco whitepaper that details ISR performance in different situations.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card