Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco EVPN Multihoming on Sub-Interfaces

danarjamal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Dears,

I am trying to enable EVPN  multi-homing on cisco ios XR, but it doesn't allow using subinterfaces when  I apply the ethernet segment under evpn section.

----------------
evpn
interface Bundle-Ether4.2001
!!% Invalid argument: Subinterface not supported: mainports only
ethernet-segment
!!% Invalid argument: Cannot find Ethernet-Segment by name
identifier type 0 01.11.00.00.00.00.00.00.01
!!% Invalid argument: Cannot find Ethernet-Segment by name
--------------------------

is it possible to use sub-interfaces to do EVPN multi-homing for CEs that are connected to my own switches, or the CEs should directly be connected to the routers?

what I want to achieve is something like below:

|--- Switch 1 --| ----- PE 1 ----- PE3 --------|-- Switch3--|

CE1 -------|                                     |                 |                                        |---- CE2

|--- Switch2 --| ------PE 2 ----- PE4 --------|-- Switch4--|  
PE1 and PE2 each has an interface towards Switch1, there is MLAG configured on the switch side, PE2 is connected to switch1 and switch 2 also. it is the same case for switch3 and switch4.

ICCP is not configured on the PEs.

Thanks & Kind Regards,

Danar

2 Replies 2

foxroot.us
Level 1
Level 1

I think  that we can use load balancing algorithm with only bundle Ethernet. You don`t use I think  that we can use load balancing algorithm with only bundle Ethernet. You don`t use  with subinterface.

JimWicks
Level 1
Level 1

You don't need to define subinterfaces, just the main bundle-ethernet (one etherchannel connects to the same peer regardless of how many VLANs you are trunking over that link).

If you look at the link below, there is an example called "Single-Active Multi-Homing" which should describe what you need for your topology.

https://xrdocs.io/ncs5500/tutorials/

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card