Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IOS Issues on Router

aakashojha
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Can i Use 1 single IOS in all 3845 Router?

I have S384AESK9-124xx (T) version IOS in one of my 3845 router, can i copy the IOS and install it in my 4 x 3845 Router as i require (T) Version IOS to support HWIC-2FE module.

Like wise, i have Cisco 1800 IOS-  S184AESK9-124xx (T) and Cisco 2800 IOS-  S28NAESK9-124xx (T) installed in my routers, will there be any issues if i copy and use the same IOS in all my respective devices?

Or will that violate the licensing agreement?

Kindly suggest.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can copy the IOS from one device & use it on another (same model) device. Cisco has no mechanisms to check whether the IOS was copied/downloaded/purchased. You don't get any warning.

No, you wouldn't have any issues running full services, besides violating license agreement.

In ISR G2, you get a universal IOS & you have to buy the license as per your need. You cannot copy the license from one device to another.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Technically, you can copy the IOS from one device to another device as long as they are the same model.

Legally, you need to have proof of licenses for each device. For instance, if you bought 'IP Base' on one router, you can't load 'Advanced IP Services' without buying new licenses. That would be violating the license agreement.

Could you please enlighten if Cisco has any mechanism to check whether i have used the IOS copying from another device or have downloaded through Internet or have used purchasing with cisco? or do they show, any message as in windows, that i need to purchase genuine IOS?

I have IP base Image in my routers, and  i also have  S384AESK9-124xx (T) version IOS downloaded from Internet to support my HWIC-2T card. Will i have any issues running full services if i install it in all of my routers besides violating license agreement?

I suppose, i can not do the same in new G2 Routers? As far as i have gone through the sites, they require PAK keys to upgrade the IOS to Sec/K9. Correct me if i am wrong.

You can copy the IOS from one device & use it on another (same model) device. Cisco has no mechanisms to check whether the IOS was copied/downloaded/purchased. You don't get any warning.

No, you wouldn't have any issues running full services, besides violating license agreement.

In ISR G2, you get a universal IOS & you have to buy the license as per your need. You cannot copy the license from one device to another.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card