Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Network Engineer L3 level

philasam79
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I would like to know what Cisco Network Engineer L3 level means and the expected tasks to be delivered by this L3 Networking Engineer.

Thanks

Samuel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It usually doesn't mean anything industry specific, but often just denotes some internal job level.

For example, at my organization, we (I think now) have 8 levels of network engineers, i.e. network engineer 1 to network engineer 8.  Our levels also have level names.  Such as:

level 1 = associate network engineer

level 2 = network engineer

level 3 = lead network engineer

level 4 = senior network engineer

level 5 = principle network engineer

level 6 = distinguished network engineer

level 7 = network engineer fellow

level 8 = network engineer senior fellow

Pay and job role responsibilities often go hand-in-hand with the organization level, especially pay ranges.

How anything like this relates to a job position really depends on the organization.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is this a job title? No job description?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I am not sure also. I got a job vacancy and the recruiter sent me this "CCNP Cisco Network Engineer L3 level" I didn't understand what she meant. I would like to know if it's a correct Networking Statement!

Thanks

Samuel

hi,

there's no harm asking the recruiter for the JD, so that you'll know what's expected from you.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It usually doesn't mean anything industry specific, but often just denotes some internal job level.

For example, at my organization, we (I think now) have 8 levels of network engineers, i.e. network engineer 1 to network engineer 8.  Our levels also have level names.  Such as:

level 1 = associate network engineer

level 2 = network engineer

level 3 = lead network engineer

level 4 = senior network engineer

level 5 = principle network engineer

level 6 = distinguished network engineer

level 7 = network engineer fellow

level 8 = network engineer senior fellow

Pay and job role responsibilities often go hand-in-hand with the organization level, especially pay ranges.

How anything like this relates to a job position really depends on the organization.

Thank you Joseph. I guess that's explained my problem now.

Thanks a lot

It really depends on the country or organization.

I've seen "Level 3 Network Engineer" as the most senior network team.  This position does all the deep-level troubleshooting such as QoS and liase with Cisco TAC with configuration issues.

Have you seen the job ads for the Middle East?  Because I've seen "Level 3 Network Engineer" basically doing EVERYTHING:  LAN/WAN, VoIP, Firewall, Windows, SQL, etc.  And just because you are a "Level 3", doesn't mean you get paid a lot.  It's the opposite.

hi leo,

sorry but i would disagree. being a higher level network engineer tends to be, and should be, paid more since we're talking about level of expertise and years of experience in his field.

i would also say that a network engineer's salary would completely depend on how well the person sells himself to the employer during the interview process and his credentials/resume.

sorry but i would disagree. being a higher level network engineer tends to be, and should be, paid more since we're talking about level of expertise and years of experience in his field.

i would also say that a network engineer's salary would completely depend on how well the person sells himself to the employer during the interview process and his credentials/resume.

Hi John,

Yes.  I understand where you are coming from and what you are meaning.  But what I was implying about the ME is that even though you are doing all these task, bascially a jack-of-all-trade, you are paid, in comparison to other parts of the world with the same technical skills required, less. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card