Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco router 881 loses its time when I restart it

noukimibrice
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a cisco 881 router which loses its time every time i restart it. To configure its time, I use the command "clock set hh: mm: ss 21 sept 2021" and I save its configuration. But once the router has restarted, the time displayed is February 06, 2036, so the dhcp service is not functional but the rest of the configuration is OK.

7 Replies 7

pman
Spotlight
Spotlight

As far as I remember there is no mechanism that saves time in case of restart.
You need to configure SNTP/NTP to synchronize the time.

Hello,

it used to be that the lower end routers did not have an internal battery for the clock, I think the 800 series routers still don't, that is why the time you set is lost when you reboot.

Configure NTP or SNTP:

ntp server time.google.com

sntp server 1.pfsense.pool.ntp.org

Hello,

Based on https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/800/hardware/installation/guide/800HIG.pdf , Page 1-147, the 880 series have a battery but unfortunately, it is non-replaceable. It is very likely indeed that in the original poster's router, it has died.

I just find it weird that after the reload, the date is in the future, not in the past as it used to be with older routers.

Best regards,
Peter

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco routers do not keep time.  Even if the time is manually configured, the on-board clock will still drift. 
Cheap NTP server (stratum 1) can be made by using Raspberry Pi.

"Even if the time is manually configured, the on-board clock will still drift."

Yea, system devices that keep poor time have always, somewhat, amazed me because I've always wondered why they cannot, if powered by public AC, "count" that (which tends to be very, very precise - how often does your cheap AC clock need time adjustment).  Of course, as you (and others) also noted, there's NTP.

In any case, some Cisco devices, with an on-board clock and can also occasionally (if configured) also sync their on-board clock with NTP.  Then if you lose NTP access, or during the initial boot (before system reacquires NTP sync), timestamps will often be fairly close to correct time.

SAMEHELSAMMAK
Level 1
Level 1

ntp master
ntp update-calendar
ntp server 132.163.97.3

THIS WILL AUTO UPDATE THE TIME

@SAMEHELSAMMAK wrote:

ntp master

Never, ever, use this command.  

This is an archaic command that is no longer relevant in present times.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card