cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Compatibility between the 20G/40G port to 10G port

ciscosnt-int
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem when connecting a 20G/40G port to a 10G port. In my scenario, I need to connect the 20G/40G port on an ASR1002-HX EPA module to a 10G port on an ASR1001-HX. I need to know whether this scenario will work specifically, will the 20G/40G port be compatible with the 10G port?

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Optic port's speed must be the same at both ends and must be using the same wavelengths.

Hello,

This will not work. Maybe look into using a breakout cable on the 40G side (4x10G)? 

BR

****Kindly rate all useful posts*****

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @ciscosnt-int ,

generally speaking . No a 40 Gbps link can connect only to another 40 Gbps link.

There are specfic cases where a 40 Gbps is connected to a breakout cable that creates 4 10 GE ports but you need the correct connector (breakout cable) and the device needs to be configured to break out the port ( if this is supported it is for example on Nexus switches).

There is also another type of optics that can be plugged into a 40 Gbps slot and provide a bay to insert a single SFP+.

Again I have seen this on Nexus switches,

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello @Giuseppe Larosa 

Can I use 40G to 10G converter for 40G QSFP port

Thank you

Hello @ciscosnt-int ,

the part number of the converter is :

CVR-QSFP-SFP10G

The Cisco QSFP-40G to SFP or SFP+ Adapter (QSA) Module offers 10 Gigabit Ethernet and 1 Gigabit Ethernet connectivity for QSFP 40G ports. 

see

Cisco 40GBASE QSFP Modules Data Sheet - Cisco

but compatiibilty with ASR 1002 has to be checked using the compatibility tool

Optics Compatibility Matrix (cisco.com)

actually we need to dive into the datasheets

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-1000-series-aggregation-services-routers/datasheet-c78-731632.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-1002-router/data_sheet_c78-443175.html

and you need to check this on the EPA module datasheet

I have seen there is no SPA with 40GE speed

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello @Giuseppe Larosa 

Thank you for your information.

Hello @ciscosnt-int ,

I have not been able to find an authoritative answer if the converter CVR-QSFP-SFP10G is supported with your EPA 40G module. if the device is under a service contract you can open a Cisco TAC service request to ask this.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

My understanding of such break out cables, on the 40g port, they create 4 virtual 10g ports.  So supporting such a transceiver is a little more complicated.

Hello @Joseph W. Doherty ,

the breakout cable requires an explicit configuration on the main interface when it is supported and it is actually this SW breakout capability that is part of the thread.

From a physical point of view the breakout has a QSFP base and then it has 4 pairs of fibers each of them terminated either with two LC connectors or a sort of bay for SFP optics ( there should be different types of these breakout cables)

As an alternative I have suggested a different optics thay is actually a converter between the QSFP and a bay for inserting an SFP optics that is called CVR-QSFP-SFP10G.  I have used it on Nexus 3000 series in this case a single 40 GE port is downgraded to  an SFP+ single port without using breakout commands.

Unfortunately, as I have explained before there is lack of documentation on what kind of optics are supported on the 40GE EPA module.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello @Giuseppe Larosa,

Yes, this is very helpful. Thank you for the information.

Regards,
Anuradha

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card