cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting CISCO 1921/K9 to Satellite Modem

Don Motaka
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to connect 1921 to Excede satellite modem; neither has a serial port so I am trying to use the RJ45 ports.  How do I configure Gigabitethernet 0/0 to pass the traffic on to the modem? 

I  have GE 0/0 set to IP 192.168.100.10, with ip NAT outside. 

I have GE 0/1 set to IP 10.10.10.1 and ip NAT inside.   I have DHCP set up for GE 0/1 and it is working.

I have an IP NAT statement pointing to access-list 10 to allow NAT for all 10.10.10.0. 

GE 0/1 is CAT5e connected to Netgear Gigabit switch to which three wireless access points are connected.  None is getting to the Internet, nor is my admin PC plugged directly into the port.  But it DOES get Internet if directly connected to modem.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

TIA.

Father Jude

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Your config looks fine.

The only thing I can think of is that the modem will only work for IPs it hands out via DHCP (assuming it does DHCP).

Can you try setting the gi0/0 interface to DHCP and see what happens.

Jon

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So the modem is using a 192.168.100.x IP ?

Can you ping the modem from the router ?

Can you ping an internet IP from the router ?

If you can ping the modem but not the an internet IP then add a default route to your 1921 router -

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <modem 192.168.100.x IP>

if you can ping an internet IP from the router then can you post your router config.

Jon

After adding the route statement, I cannot ping either modem or internet, but I CAN open the web page at 192.168.100.1, which is the status display for the satellite uplink and the modem functionality.

Here's maybe another clue (which has me wondering whether this modem is only a one-connection unit):  each time I down the modem and bring it back up, that 192.168.100.1 web page shows a different IP address for the MAC address - so far, I've seen 10.128.67.80, 10.134.106.31 (twice) and 10.135.191.66.  Even funky-er - I see a MAC address NOT the same as what's on the modem's mfg. label, sometimes!

Anyway, here's my router config.

Your config looks fine.

The only thing I can think of is that the modem will only work for IPs it hands out via DHCP (assuming it does DHCP).

Can you try setting the gi0/0 interface to DHCP and see what happens.

Jon

BINGO!  

I set GE 0/0 to >>>  ip address dhcp <<< and as soon as I plugged in the Cat5e from that port to the modem port, all the used ports on the switch went into blinking frenzy.

The ironic thing is, I've read any number of these discussion starts and noticed that in some config postings, interfaces were set to accept DHCP ip assignments, but I'd never seen that during my working years.  But then, I was still expecting to have to deal with crossover cables and that seems to be destined for Smithsonian exhibits.

Thanks for your help with this.

No problem, glad you got it working.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card