cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Console connection issue

Markee68Q
Level 1
Level 1

What does it mean if you've connected everything correctly and you're at the terminal but the router/switch doesn't start a boot on the laptop CLI?

29 Replies 29

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How are you accessing the console ? putty or secure CRT ?

what is the comport ? putty default uses com1

speed 9600

data bits8

stop bits 1

parity none

flow control none

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks for your reply. I'm accessing with Putty on Com3

speed 9600

data bits 8

stop bits 1

parity none

flow control (was) XON/XOFF

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am not clear about what you are describing. Can you verify that your connection from laptop to console does work? If you enter a show command do you get output on the console? If you enter config t do you get into configuration global mode?

How are you initiating the reload? Are you using the reload command on the console? Are you pulling power and then plugging it back in?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

So I've connected the console serial cable to my prolific usb. The driver is up to date and I'm using putty as the terminal. I still have a black screen and it's not booting to input any command. 

@Richard Burts - as asked can you provide more information. i was just checking the settings first place.

BB

My goal is to begin labbing for the CCNA R/S with a router. I acquired a
Cisco 2524 not long ago and I have set the Putty configuration as you
stated above. The screen in the terminal is not populating anything. I'm
not sure if it's a problem because my device is obsolete or if it's a a dud
device. Hopefully neither.

Thank you for confirming that you are not able to execute any command and do not get any output. It might be helpful to know that you are using a 2524. This is quite old but be fine for studying CCNA. Can you tell us what kind of cable you are using to connect the laptop usb adapter to the router? The 2524 needs a rollover console cable and does not work if it is a regular Ethernet cable.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Ive connected a (DTech DT-5002B) USB to DB9 RS232 serial cable to a Console to DB 9 serial cable, but there is a male gender between the two serials to connect then together.

I am not clear what you are saying about male gender connectors and how you connected them. Also not clear whether the console to DB9 cable is the blue Cisco console cable or is some other type of cable.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

The cable is not blue, and that may be the problem l.IMG_20181009_133225.jpg

I've unplugged the power and re tried but still no characters populate in the terminal.

It is helpful to know that you are rebooting by unplugging power. Can you answer the questions about whether you are able to execute any show command? And if you enter config t do you go into global config mode?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I'm not able to execute any commandIMG_20181009_131326.jpg

what is this device model ? can you take close Picture we are not able to see the device side connection ?

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card