cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Copying configuration from Cisco 2811 to Cisco 2911 router

Clay Plaga
Level 3
Level 3

I have a test network that I am using for my certifications. I am replacing a Cisco 2811 router and a Cisco 2960 PoE switch with a Cisco 2911 router. I am using SM-ES2-24-P service module in the 2911 for the switch functions. I know the router needs the PoE power supply for PoE devices.

I think I know how to copy the 2811router running configuration into the 2911, then save it into the start-up configuration. My question is for the 2960 switch. How do I copy the 2960 switch configuration to the 2911?

Any assistance will be appreciated. Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Let me start with what should be a pretty obvious point: because of possible differences in hardware (especially naming of interfaces) and because of likely differences in syntax based on running a different version of code, it is likely that you will not be successful if you just do a straight copy/paste. You should take a copy of the current 2811 config and a copy of the default startup config from the 2911 and compare them, especially noting differences in naming and in syntax. Then you can prepare a copy of the config that can be loaded on the new router.

As for configuring the service module there should be a sm interface that you access from router CLI and then apply config there.

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Let me start with what should be a pretty obvious point: because of possible differences in hardware (especially naming of interfaces) and because of likely differences in syntax based on running a different version of code, it is likely that you will not be successful if you just do a straight copy/paste. You should take a copy of the current 2811 config and a copy of the default startup config from the 2911 and compare them, especially noting differences in naming and in syntax. Then you can prepare a copy of the config that can be loaded on the new router.

As for configuring the service module there should be a sm interface that you access from router CLI and then apply config there.

HTH

Rick

Yes, I will use your method for the 2911 router. I have never made this configuration before. If I get stuck, I will just post more questions. I am waiting for the enhanced etherswitch service module(SM-ES2-24-P) and the 2911 to be delivered. I think I will also have to install a PoE power supply for the 2911. I have 2 Cisco access points deployed on my test network.  As for the etherswitch, I think I will just manually recreate the switch configuration on the service module. This is all for my test network and I need to learn all this stuff. I am going to replace a 2960 PoE and the 2811 with one unit. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again.

I am glad that my suggestions have been helpful. Good luck with the configuration when your new hardware arrives. And yes if you get stuck post more questions.  This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card