Views
Helpful
Replies

DCHP server on CBS350 switch

IanGrundling
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I just want to know if it is possible to have a CBS350 switch on a network, then have the CBS350 switch be a DCHP server.

Our scenario is we have different meeting rooms and AV equipment in those rooms including the CBS350. We have a processor for the AV equipment in each room which needs to be on the corporate network as well as the CBS350 switch, and the other equipment needs to get addresses from the switch and still be able to communicate to the processor.

I don't know if this is possible to do, if the processor needs to be on the DHCP of the CBS350 that is also fine, it makes more sense to me to do it that way, but the processor still needs to have internet access in order to send data to a cloud management platform.

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are things about your network that we do not know and which might affect our advice. But fundamentally I believe the question is whether you can implement DHCP server on CBS350 and the answer is yes that is supported on that switch.

HTH

Rick

unnamed.png

 I hope this will help, so the blue connecting lines is devices that needs to get their addresses form the corporate network and the devices with the black connecting lines needs to be on the DHCP of the switch but still be able to communicate with the processor.

Hello
based on you diagram then yes it would be applicable to have the switch run dhcp service however if both blue and black need to communicate with each other and blue is currently receiving address allocation from corporate dhcp server then why cannot black users also receive dhcp allocation from corporate dhcp server?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Am I correct in assuming that the blue line is one vlan/one subnet and the black line is a different vlan/subnet? if so will the inter vlan routing be done on the CBS350 or on the upstream device?

HTH

Rick

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbms/CBS_250_350/Administration-Guide/cbs-350/ipv4-configuration.html#ID-00001836

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card