Views
Helpful
Replies

Debug all Effect

turbo_engine26
Level 4
Level 4

Guys, I need your urgent help please.

I just disconnected myself from my Boss's router at home once I issued the debug all command. The router is a home-based router 800 series and nobody's home, so I didn't expect that if I issued that command I get DC'ed. I can't ping nor telnet to the router anymore. The only way is to disconnect the power from the router manually to force it to restart.

My question is: Does the debug all has any negative effect on the processor or internal RAM? There are still 5 hours until my boss go back home and disconnect the power. Will this timeframe (5 hours) affect the router with debugging all on?

Please respond ASAP. It's a matter of life or death :(

Thanks

7 Replies 7

jonathanlunt
Level 1
Level 1

Debug all has a massive effect on the router. It is common practice to only debug a specific thing and for only as long as you need it. It is generally considered bad practice to debug all especially on a live router. 

Please explain the word "massive". I am not worried if the router is live since it is located at home with nobody inside it in the time being. I wouldn't do it indeed  if the router is a corporate router. Since no one inside the house and no traffic activity, I wonder why would the command freeze the router. Luckily, the default logging to console is enabled. If the logging was configured to dump the messages to buffer, it will be more serious.

In the meantime, please clarify what did you mean by "massive". Will it render the router useless after long hours of not disabling it?

Thanks.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

"Debug all" often makes a device "useless" if there's any volume of traffic.

My question is, Will it makes the device useless after restarting the router? .. In other words, will it ruin the router? .. I really don't care if it makes it useless if there's traffic because no one at home.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Once "debug all" is no longer in effect, device should resume normal to operation.

Using it, shouldn't permanently ruin the device.

turbo_engine26
Level 4
Level 4

Alright, here is my new question for more clarification.

Will the debug all make the device hot if it's turned on for long hours as a result the device may crash?

:)

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

If the device isn't ventilated as it should be, yes a crash (or permanent damage) might result.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card