Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN design with primary DSL and 3G backup

shamax_1983
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

I've been trying to find a solution for this scenario for last three months.

I have 3 routers each one has ADSL and 3G interfaces (Cisco 887VAG). one of them will be a hub and the other two will be spokes. What is the best way to have redundancy for this topology?. I am thinking of configuring 2 DMVPN clouds, one on the DSL and other on the 3G. I know that, if I change the metrics of tunnel interfaces I can make the routers to prefer DSL with EIGRP.

All DSL IPs are static Public and the 3G interface on the Hub is also stati. But spokes' 3G IPs are dynamic.

So my conundrum is,

If I implement the secondary DMVPN as mentioned above, How am I going to configure default routes on the HUB?. ( I can have a specific route on the Spokes, pointing the HUB's 3G IP, out via it's 3G interface because I already know the HUB's 3G IP address(static).)But on the Hub, I already have a default route via DSL interface. Because the Spokes 3G IPs are dynamic, I can't specify a route on the Hub so that the Hub can reply to ISAKMP initiation traffic received from Spokes 3G-IP back via its (Hubs) 3G interface. So even though the hub gets the spokes' initiation traffic(for secondary DMVPN) from it's 3G interface, it's gonna reply using it's DSL interface ( is it ?). So I think this may cause lots of issues..

Can you please put me in the right direction.. May be there is a better way. This has been a pain in the back side for too long now.

Can VRF help in this situation?? if so, please give me an example..

Thank you in advance.

1 Reply 1

shamax_1983
Level 3
Level 3
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card