cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN/OSPF and default route

davem1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a dual-hub DMVPN setup running OSPF. The issue I am having that the default route that's being injected is preferred on the secondary hub instead of the primary. I've tried adjusting the metric on the default route, changing the admin distance on the secondary hub router, all with no luck. I'm looking for any other suggestions as to why the spoke prefers the secondary hub versus the primary. I have also set the ospf cost on router 1 to be lower than router 2. It might be something simple that I'm just no seeing.

6 Replies 6

umer zubairi
Level 1
Level 1

Try below configs on both the Hubs and make ip tcp adjust-mss value to 1360

HUB(config-if)# ip nhrp holdtime 300

HUB1(config-if)#ip nhrp redirect

Let us know if this works.

Cheers!

No joy. The default route is still preferred over the secondary hub router.

Hi

You can try:

Primary

router ospf 700 vrf Customer

default-information originate metric 10

Secondary

router ospf 700 vrf Customer

default-information originate metric 200

It should fix the inconvenience. The spokes should prefer the path with the lowest cost. 

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

I made the change, cleared the OSPF process and still no change. I had thought the same thing and added 'default-information originate metric 10' on HUB2 while leaving HUB1 as default with similar results. I do agree that given the metrics the preferred route should be HUB1, but even if I added a higher metric to the static route itself, i.e. ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x 100, I get the same result.

Hi David,

Have you turned off the Hub 2 in order to verify if Hub 1 is really advertising the default route? or remove the default-information originate on R2 to see the behavior?

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

If I shut down the tunnel on HUB2, I lose the adjacency and the default route is learned via HUB1. Once I bring the tunnel back up on HUB2, the default route resumes on HUB2. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card