cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does the 3745 1FE2W Module Support MPLS?

wpalumbo06
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a couple of these routers in the lab with a very basic MPLS configuration on them.  Everything works fine on the fixed interfaces but I cannot get the ldp neighborship to form between the 1FE2W interfaces on each router.  Does this module support MPLS?

Thanks...

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I do not know for sure about this module. Then again, for these routers, the MPLS is a software feature so a hardware Layer2 module should not be limited (or limiting) in any way.

One key thing to consider: the LDP chooses a Router ID much like the OSPF does. However, at least in Cisco implementation, the LDP actually uses this Router ID as a source/destination IP address in the LDP communication. This means that if a router has chosen a particular LDP RID, its neighbors must be able to resolve that RID in their routing tables, otherwise, the neighbors won't be able to start a LDP adjacency.

I suggest using the mpls ldp router-id force command to make sure that the LDP RID is set to a particular interface's IP address, and then making sure that this IP address is advertised to other routers via a routing protocol.

Best regards,

Peter

I agree that interface should not matter but it's the only thing different in the configuration.  I'll try forcing the router ID and see what that does.

Thanks...

Well...I decided to blow away both router configs and rebuild them

from scratch...everything works fine now.  I must have configured something wrong the first time but I can't imagine what - configuring MPLS between two routers isn't exactly rocket science...or isit:-)

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card