cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DS3 Connection Issues

Ed Willson
Level 1
Level 1

We've got a DS3 coming into the HQ which is split into 14 T1's.  6 are Internet, 6 are MPLS and 2 are PRI lines.

In the last few days we've had a few outages that our carrie can't explain. 

The MPLS lines all dropped for about 10 minutes, then came back up.  Then the Internet lines and back up.  The PRI lines stayed up. This was on Monday night.

Today (Wednedsay) The MPLS lines dropped again, then came back up and dropped again and back up.  Then the internet bounced again.

All of these outages lasted 5-20 minutes.  Out T1 carrier hasn't an explanation.  But it seems like maintanance that wasn't relayed to us.

All of the T1s are going into 3 different devices, MPLS lines into a router, Inet lines into another router, and PRI lines into the PBX. 

I'm wondering where you guys would start troubleshooting this.  Seeing lot's of carrier transitions on the MPLS and Inet multilinks.

Thanks,

Taemyks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Out T1 carrier hasn't an explanation.  

I've heard of this excuse before.  Check your interface for any line errors.  If it gets worst then demand (not ask) for a Bit Error Rate (BER) test to be done in a 24-hour.  I don't recommend "spot" BER test because chances of you finding a fault is as close as hitting a hole-in-one from NYC and the hole is in Moscow.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Out T1 carrier hasn't an explanation.  

I've heard of this excuse before.  Check your interface for any line errors.  If it gets worst then demand (not ask) for a Bit Error Rate (BER) test to be done in a 24-hour.  I don't recommend "spot" BER test because chances of you finding a fault is as close as hitting a hole-in-one from NYC and the hole is in Moscow.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

They can have had a router or layer issue and not disclosed. Sometime telco they don't even talk between their different groups.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card