cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DSL Circuit to router problem

gibsowe55
Level 1
Level 1

We have a new installed DSL circuit.  The ISP provided us with static IP info.

Gateway IP

Usable IP address

Subnet Mask

I have setup a router interface from the modem to provide internet.  The interface IP address is configured as the usable IP and subnet. Also have a static route configured for the public gateway address.

We have hundreds of other locations that use this same setup and they work fine.  However, we are not getting internet access from the router interface.  The provider is able to ping their equipment fine. I can even ping the public gateway address over the internet.  I tried setting the router interface for DHCP, and it picks up a private IP in a completely different range. To me that sounds like the problem.. But the provider confirmed their modem is set for the static IP address, and they can see it fine on their end.  I talked to two separate agents and they confirmed this..

Any ideas?  I'm completely stumped on this one..

5 Replies 5

Hello,

Post the full config of your router...

I'm sorry I'm not able to post the config for privacy reasons.. Do you agree that if the modem was truly set as static, it wouldn't provide an IP address when I set the router interface to DHCP?

What do you mean with modem ? Is the modem between your router and the Internet ?

Hello,

--> I have setup a router interface from the modem to provide internet.

Is that Router --> Modem --> Internet 

or

Router --> Internet

Hello

@gibsowe55 wrote:
I'm sorry I'm not able to post the config for privacy reasons.. Do you agree that if the modem was truly set as static, it wouldn't provide an IP address when I set the router interface to DHCP?

It’s a possibility but if it’s on a different up subnet entirely then no

can you confirm the dhcp ip address range your rtr does it receive dynamicaly is it a 169.354.x.x by a chance?

if not and its some other IP address range it may be picking it from any other routing device on your own network!

As goreg queird how is your router physically connected to the isp modem?

it is via a switch that also has another routing device attached capable of allocating dhcp?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card