Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Stub

zekebashi
Level 4
Level 4

Hello, 

We're considering replacing our distribution switches (C6509-E) with C4510R+E Chassis. We're considering to get the IPBase license for these C4510Rs. I understand this license only provides the EGIRP Stub feature. Our current topology involves having the distribution switches(in a VSS configuration) connected to the downstream access-layer switches via L2 Trunks. My goal is to replace the distribution switches(C6509s) with C4510R chassis and connect them to the downstream switches(C3850s) via L3 and enable EIGRP on the access-layer to route subnets to the distribution swiches. My question is if the distribution switches have EIGRP stub configured and, also, the access-layer switches have EIGRP stub configured, will the distribution switches advertise subnets to the downstream switches? 

Thanks in advance and much appreciated. 

~zK 

1 Reply 1

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Usually we use stub on the spoke side. But if it's internal routing only and no need of specific features, technically it will work. On your core switch if you have static routes to go outside don't forget to enable eigrp stub connected static and under your eigrp process issue the command redistribute static. By default, EIGRP stub will only advertise connected and summary.

Your peering will be ok and connected interfaces (subnet) will be shared.

Again this isn't the ideal design but it works.

Thanks

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this answered your question.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card