cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP stub

ccnpninja
Level 1
Level 1

I read that the EIGRP stub router should have a default route to the core router. Do I need to configure it manually? or is it created after I issue an "eigrp stub" command under "router eigrp..." ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You could even just use a default static ip route eg.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

and redistribute into EIGRP process.

But if you use this or you use ip default-network then you still need to use a distribute-list under the eigrp configuration to make sure only the default-route is sent to the stub router.

If you use the summary-address as in your example then because this is an interface command EIGRP will advertise the summary route only which is exactly what you want.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to configure it manually. You would generally create a default-route or supernet route on the core router and then advertise this to the EIGRP stub router.

Jon

So if I issue a "ip summary-address eigrp 30 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0" on the core router, the EIGRP stub will get it as part of an EIGRP update, and it will install a default route through the core?

Is there another way to advertise the default-route from the core? What about "ip default-network"?

You could even just use a default static ip route eg.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

and redistribute into EIGRP process.

But if you use this or you use ip default-network then you still need to use a distribute-list under the eigrp configuration to make sure only the default-route is sent to the stub router.

If you use the summary-address as in your example then because this is an interface command EIGRP will advertise the summary route only which is exactly what you want.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card