cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

eigrp with many subinterfaces

reaven1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi i am confused on how to proceed, I have a catalyst 6509 which is running eigrp with more than a 100 SubInterfaces connected to a provider servicing mpls for the external clients. 

I am trying slowly migrate over to a catalyst 9600 which is for the time being connected trunk directly to the 6509. After configuring all the SubInterfaces and connect the provider to the 9600 it doesn't work, maybe because the eigrp config is on the 6509. Can i config the 9600 eigrp with the same AS and the same config as the 6509 which is 

router eigrp 5001
 redistribute static
 network 10.0.0.0
 no auto-summary
 no eigrp log-neighbor-changes
!

21 Replies 21

If you can upload interface and EIGRP configurations it would be of great help to be able to assist you.

The first thing I notice in this diagram is that 10.1.15.109 is listed on both devices in vlan 3444, is this accurate? If this is the case it would explain why routing between the 9600 and the 6509 doesn't work. EIGRP requires having unique primary IP addresses in the same subnet to form an adjacencies.

Happy to help! Please mark as helpful/solution if applicable.
Get in touch: https://torbjorn.dev

Yes the config for the subinterfaces appear on both catalyst because is currently connected to the 6509 but I want it to move to the 9600 along with everything else, eventually the 6509 it’s going to be decommission. The subinterfaces are shutdown on the 6509 while i do the test on the 9600.

The 9600 and the 6509 is obviously physically one beside the other connected by a trunk. I don’t think but correct me if am wrong , I don’t find the need to have neighrbirship on the 6509 while the providers are connected to the 9600 even so when I am testing the EIGRP on the 9600 just the interface is shutdown on the 6509 and the eigrp configuration is still there

Friend

Try make direct connect from 9600 to WAN not interconnects both SW.

Then redistrubte connected with different metrics in 9600

Here WAN router will have two path to same subinterface connect to both SW but 9600 is less prefer.

After you complete config remove connections between 6500 and WAN.

That it.

Note:- you can also use hsrp to make hosts prefer 6500 than 9600 and when remove the new GW will be 9600 for hosts.

Thanks A Lot
MHM

Torbjørn
Spotlight
Spotlight

That is correct, if you don't wish to have any routing set up between 6500 and the 9600 there is no need for a neighbor relationship. I misunderstood your previous reply.

"Last night I did the test, even though I established neighborship it was only from the 9600, i could ping and telnet to the clients routers from the 9606 but thats it.

I dont have access from nor to the 6509 and by consequence the client dont have access to any resource on the network.

I am missing something in the connection between the 6509 and the 9600"

Does this mean that there are networks connected to the 6509 that you lose access to when you move routing to the 9600? Are these networks on the 6509 connected to the 9600 too? If so you can match these networks with a network statement on the 9600 to start advertise these routes to the mpls provider such that clients can reach them. If not you must set up routing (routing-protocol or static routes) between the two switches temporarily and ensure that the routes for the networks are advertised to the service-provider until you have migrated these networks off the 6500.

@Torbjørn wrote:

...Does this mean that there are networks connected to the 6509 that you lose access to when you move routing to the 9600? Are these networks on the 6509 connected to the 9600 too? If so you can match these networks with a network statement on the 9600 to start advertise these routes to the mpls provider such that clients can reach them. If not you must set up routing (routing-protocol or static routes) between the two switches temporarily and ensure that the routes for the networks are advertised to the service-provider until you have migrated these networks off the 6500.

Exactly all my internal resources are connected to the 6500 I just move the patch coming from the mpls provider to the 9600. you mean setting up an static route like  0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 6500_ip ?

If your 9600 is connected to your default gateway(probably the MPLS provider?) you can configure a static default route towards the 9600 like that. The 9600 must also have routes to the networks behind the 6509, so you will have to add these as well if you wish to it with static routes. 

and we return to previous point I mention before. 
does 9600 have a connection to WAN (provider) or not ?
@reaven1 can you confirm that?

Thanks A Lot
MHM

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card