cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

enterprise Management solution for entry level admins.

Ruckusd
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I am personally a little fresh to the engineering side of networking but have experience in setting up and troubleshooting networks that have been set up. I've been tasked with putting together a network for a campus where the on site admin has a more entry level of networking knowledge that is looking for a basic solution for managing the network after we have completed installing it to their specifications. They have opted out of the Meraki platform in lieu of a more on premises management platform and at the same time, they are requesting to set it up a way where the on site admin can make minor changes (like if needed, creating or changing vlan memberships) on the equipment without having to utilize a CLI. I'm afraid no matter what he may need to learn some CLI for the management of the network, but I'm not familiar with any options to give him for simple (possibly GUI) management of the network otherwise. we are installing Enterprise level equipment for the campus with a higher end ISR and Catalyst switch solution to give an idea without giving too much detail. any suggestions i can give to help keep the client happy for their request? preferably something i can look into testing and implementing for this?

Thank you

3 Replies 3

Hello

i imagine then he will not require access to the isrs rtrs kudt the catalyst and meraki

now you don’t say what meraki or catalyst your have but that really doesn’t matter as the meraki is cloud based and can be centrally administered so you can be granular with the privilege role and and still able to retain access even if all he meraki kit went off line 

As for the catalyst devices the newer 9k have a very easy to manage gui via a built in http server (ccp) which incorporates virtual switching meaning you can make changes to the whole catalyst switching infrastructure if need be with a few clicks no cli required which unfortunately is going the norm in a few years when SDN kicks in 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

He may want access to the router. it is a 4k i guess if that helps. if he wants to add a new vlan for some reason. i havent messed with or seen the GUI on the new 9k switches yet to know how easy to use it is (compared to older switches) so ill have to look into that.

Hello

Unless you use a centrally manage application like prime or  dna I think you may be stuck with cli however you can apply menus so that when he/she logs in the device menus are provided so to limit there privilege and enable them to perform specific changes you control.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card