Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EoMPLS same vlan different customers.

Hello everyone. The company where I work is running MPLS service for customer for whole country. Some 2-tier service provider companies are our client and they just connect their Multilayer switches at both end and we are giving L2 tunnel with Vlan-Based Mpls. However sometimes 2 different companies want to transport same vlan and it create a problem for me. Is there any way to service same vlan in save PEs for different customers using vlan-based Eompls? I googled but could not find any documentation for guiding me.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Orkhan,

now I see your issue

You would need to use a different access link on the PE node to be able to support same Vlan on different customers.

There are some tricks to perform Vlan tag rewrite in EoMPLS in order to accomodate different Vlan tags at the two ends of the pseudowire but I am afraid they are not enough for your needs.

The only way to scale more then this would be to use 802.1Q in 802.1Q tunneling:

in this case the configuration of the port towards the customer would be an 802.1Q tunnel and you would assign an external Vlan-tag specific for each customer.

This second scenario would require an external access switch.

However, in this way the customer would be allowed to pass frames with any possible vlans between pseudowires defeating your provisioning model.

Hope to help

Giuseppe Larosa

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Orkhan,

regardless of port based or vlan based EoMPLS at LDP signalling level what makes the pair to create the pseudowire is the VC ID that must match on both sides of the pseudowire.

So you should be able to support different customers using the same Vlan(s) for the simple reason that you will use different VC-ID for each customer.

Looking at your network diagram you will have two pseudowires with different VC-ID between the same two PE nodes one serving customer1 and one serving customer2. With also different access links you are fine.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you very much for information.

The reason why i use vlan-based Eompls is because in client contract we get extra paymant for each vlan transport. Therefore in PE i creat the subinterface with the Dot1q encapsulation matching the vlan that is asked by client. 

So, in PE conf:

Interface gigabit1/0/1.10

encapsulation dot1q 10

xconnect 10.10.10.1 10 encapsulation mpls

And vise-versa in another PE. For new costumers I can allocate only not used vlans but they can want sometimes using same vlan regardless of each-other. How can i fix this then?

Hello Orkhan,

now I see your issue

You would need to use a different access link on the PE node to be able to support same Vlan on different customers.

There are some tricks to perform Vlan tag rewrite in EoMPLS in order to accomodate different Vlan tags at the two ends of the pseudowire but I am afraid they are not enough for your needs.

The only way to scale more then this would be to use 802.1Q in 802.1Q tunneling:

in this case the configuration of the port towards the customer would be an 802.1Q tunnel and you would assign an external Vlan-tag specific for each customer.

This second scenario would require an external access switch.

However, in this way the customer would be allowed to pass frames with any possible vlans between pseudowires defeating your provisioning model.

Hope to help

Giuseppe Larosa

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card