Views
Helpful
Replies

finding access points a client is associated with

roncro
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I don't know if this is a routing question "per se",  but I am wondering if there is something like  the linux traceroute tool, to find a route through which a node "goes".

However,  I would like to find what access point a lient is using if I know it's ip address.  The access points, switches and router are all Cisco (2960s switches, 2900 router and aironet access points)

any ideas?

thanks,

Ron

4 Replies 4

Best place to find this information is your Wireless LAN Controller. If you want to find the client "the routing way" and your WLAN is in FlexConnect-Mode, then you can first look at the arp-table of the Layer3 switch to find the IP-to-Mac mapping. In the Mac-Address-Table you find the Port where this Mac-Adress is located. If it has an AP connected, you are typically done. If it is a switch, the Mac-Address-Table of that device will give you the next port. You repeat that until you have the AP.

well,  I don't have a wireless LAN controller, from what I understand it is a dedicated device for managing access points. I just have a bunch of 'independent' Cisco access points. I don't know what "FlexConnect-Mode" is,  so I am probably not using that. The switches I use a Cisco 2960s switches, so technically they are layer 2, not layer 3 I think. If a 2960s can do this anyway,  then is there a utility to do that?  (I can write something myself, if I know how that would be done.)

thanks,

Ron

Hello

If you have a windows client - I remember a cli command you may want to try it might show you the associated AP

netsh wlan show wlan all

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

sorry for the late reply,  was abroad for a while.

Since  the APs allow SSH access, I was wondering if they'd also allow key/host based SSH access.

Ron

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card