cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Funny filename in flash: on a 3640 Router?

jamesd058
Level 1
Level 1

When I dir flash: on a 3640 Router I see a file named y in memory. Why is this?

It is on a few 3640's I am using in a test lab. I have been upgrading memory, and before the upgrade I try to copy file y to my TFTP Server for backup. On one 3640 I could not copy y at all; error-directory or filename does not exist. So I did a dir flash: to see if y is still there, and suddenly Y has renamed itselt to c3640-is-mz.122-11.t11.bin. Huh???

>>>> Self-Revelation: Of course, someone has just do a copy from a TFTP Server and Hit ENTER key without typing a Destination filename. What threw me off a bit was the fact that the filename changed! But now I doubt that too. I'm working with 5 of these routers and I'll bet I lost track of which one I was on, and thought the named changed.

Thank you.

2 Replies 2

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

That would be because when someone was saving something, the file system asked for a filename, the human driving the console thought it was a yes/no question, and hit "y" for "yes."

I am speculating at about a 99.9% certainty level, as a person that does this with some regularity.

Trust me.

Scott

Hi,

Totally agree with Scott :)

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card