cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Grumble: ASR1002 and 1002F RP1 Feature Limitations with using Software IOS HA

BENJAMIN TAN
Level 1
Level 1

The ASR1002/1002F are touted to be able to handle large routing tables. They are also touted to have the software based IOS HA.

What is not stated is that once IOS HA is turned on, the memory left in the router is so miserable that only 1 view of the internet GRT is pratically possible.

My grumble is that this isn't documented anywhere and only more recently when the RP2 was launched has this been "corrected". But we have 7 units of ASR1002/1002F all not living up to their initially advertised functionality.

2 Replies 2

Soraya Golbeg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Benjamin,

This is indeed not clearly documented

I could only find the following URL regarding the ASR:

Memory usage overview:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9343/products_tech_note09186a0080af252a.shtml#mem_usg_oview

'Upon startup, IOSd is granted access to a fixed amount of physical memory on the RP typically 50 percent or 1 GB on 2 GB systems and 2 GB on 4 GB systems. Dual IOS operation with 2/4RU chassis with 4GB of Main Memory for software redundancy each consume 1 GB.'

This gives you a rough idea of how much memory might be available after bootup, especially when there is IOS HA.

I hope this can come handy though.

Cheers,

Soraya

I was therefore hoping for some way to adjust the memory allocation parameters. It appears to me from "s plat sof stat con" that the memory reservation for the linux kernel is extremely conservative. If more is allocated to each iosd process, the final feature-usability of the ASR1k with RP1 would be far improved. As it now stands, my grumble is that the ASR1k doesn't perform "as advertised". That said, it is starting to be a known fact that when Cisco lists all the features available on any platform, it ought NOT to be assumed that ALL the features can be enabled TOGETHER.

What we need is NOT the "Feature Navigator" tool but rather a "Feature INTERACTION" tool. There has to be a better way for SE's to get a handle on the Limitations and Restrictions which come with as multiple features are used/enabled.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card