Views
Helpful
Replies

having trouble setting up a 2801 as an internet router

rschmalzbauer
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm having trouble setting up a Cisco 2801 as an internet router between our firewall & our ISP.

I've setup FastEthernet0/0 as the WAN port & FastEthernet0/1 as the LAN port.  I've setup a default gateway pointing the next hop (the ISP)

when I plug in a pair of laptops configured to mimic our IP scheme, I'm able to ping thru, but when I put the router between our firewall & ISP I'm not able to get out to the internet (can't ping google)  I can still ping the next hop.

Our old router died, so I am unable to pull up its configuration.

Can someone point me in the right direction?  Here is the code I'm come up with so far.

names & IPs have been changed to protect the innocent.

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current configuration : 858 bytes
!
version 15.0
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no service password-encryption
!
hostname Router
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
enable secret 5 $1$R6qT$KczCsj9FnEM.qraks2BeN.
enable password xxxxxxxx
!
no aaa new-model
ip source-route
!
!
!
!
ip cef
multilink bundle-name authenticated
!
!
!
license udi pid CISCO2801 sn FTXxxxxxxx
!
!
!
!
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
ip address 65.36.76.34 255.255.255.252
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
ip address 65.36.78.29 255.255.255.224
speed auto
full-duplex
no mop enabled
!
ip default-gateway 65.36.76.33
ip forward-protocol nd
!
!
no ip http server
!
access-list 98 deny   any
!
!
control-plane
!
!
line con 0
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
access-class 98 in
password xxxxxxxx
login
!
scheduler allocate 20000 1000
end

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this  posting offers the information contained within this posting without  consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no  implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You might want to try replacing your:

with

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 65.36.76.33

Beyond that much depends on what the downstream and upstream devices expect as where certain subnets are.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

It would help having  a diagram and the firewall config as well as exactly what is not working and what is working.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

thank for quick response.

FYI, everything works now, as I'm using a SonicWall firewall (with firewall turned off) to route this traffic, but when I try using the Cisco 2801, I can't get past the default gateway.

Any traceroutes I attempt stop at the router (65.36.78.29)

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this  posting offers the information contained within this posting without  consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no  implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You might want to try replacing your:

with

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 65.36.76.33

Beyond that much depends on what the downstream and upstream devices expect as where certain subnets are.

Thanks Joseph,

I'll try replacing that default gateway with a route.

Hopefully it's something simple like that.

That was it.  Thanks Joseph.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit)  arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information  even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Great!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card