cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with one-to-one NAT

CumbrianDave
Level 1
Level 1

I run a community internet business in rural Cumbria with a point-to-point wireless network feeding ~ 40 homes and businesses. To date, we've managed with a single external static IP, but a number of 'gamers' are now asking for us to open port ranges for them for PS4, XBox etc. As a result we have purchased a static IP range from our ISP to map external static IPs direct to some of our subscribers internal router IPs. I thought this would be simple to do via 1:1 NAT, but I can't get it to work!

Our router is a TL-ER6120, but I think the issue is more likely my (lack of) understanding of IP ranges and subnets!

The router is currently set up with a WAN static IP (x.x.185.94), subnet mask (255.255.255.252) and default Gateway (x.x.185.943).This is based on the original setup information from our ISP:

Capture.JPG

The information from the ISP for the new static IP range is:

Ext_Router Pair [1] a.a.218.220/30
Network b.b.13.0/26

I (naively?) thought I should keep the WAN router settings unchanged and then use a.a.218.220 and the first static IP address in the 1:1 NAT settings, but no joy. Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Capture.JPG

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to talk to your ISP about how they see this working because it is not clear why they have given you another /30 to use. 

Assuming the same ISP I would have expected them to allocate you the /26 and route that subnet to your existing WAN interface IP address x.x.185.94 and then you could use the new IPs for NAT on your router. 

So I would ask them what the new /30 is for ie. they might be routing the new /26 to the x.x.218.22x IP assigned to you.

If they are then to keep your existing setup it may be easier for them to simply route to your existing WAN IP, again assuming it is the same ISP. 

Jon

you should add new public ip in mapping like this 192.168.1.14 -> aa.218.220

Hello

This seems to suggest that your isp has provided you with this /26 range so you allocate them to your users, Or are they expecting you to use this range as a secondary address range on your wan interface?

Whats Jon has suggested would be the best way to approach this, and obtain calcification from your ISP

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks guys, I'll try the ISP again. They refused to help last time!
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card