Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure Inter-VLAN Routing: Router-On-A-Stick

Dear All,

This is my first time here and I would like an advice/help on this little project I created. I am studying for the CCENT (via a course on udemy.com), and I created this project to practice some commands, but this project I made in Packet Tracer is also something I am doing for fun as well. Right now, I am configuring Router-On-A-Stick for Inter-VLAN routing. I configured my network devices, but when I try to ping from PC6 from VLAN 30 to PC9 in VLAN40, it doesn't ping.

I made sure to check my setting and it looks to be right, but maybe there is something I am missing that I may not be noticing. Could anyone please take a look at my network project? I attach a zipped folder that contains file and some text files for the involved devices.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Pawan Raut
Level 4
Level 4

Unfortunately, I am not able to open your topology but from router and switch configuration I could see you are duplicating the IP address of vlan 30 and 40 on router and SW3. You should first make sure where you want to have Layer 3 gateway on router or switch3 and assigned a unique IP address to each. Make sure your PC has that Layer3 VLAN as the gateway and your pc can ping that gateway.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Pawan Raut
Level 4
Level 4

Unfortunately, I am not able to open your topology but from router and switch configuration I could see you are duplicating the IP address of vlan 30 and 40 on router and SW3. You should first make sure where you want to have Layer 3 gateway on router or switch3 and assigned a unique IP address to each. Make sure your PC has that Layer3 VLAN as the gateway and your pc can ping that gateway.

Hello Pawan,

So I changed the IP address where a duplicate address was occurring and now it is working. I confirmed that the PCs for both VLAN 30 and VLAN 40 can ping each other, and that they can ping the default gateway on the R1.

Also, I completed my goal of creating a DHCP/DNS server to assign IP address to the VLAN 30 and 40's PCs while still able to ping each other.

Hello,

the problem was likely that you needed crossover cables between the switches. I have replaced the cables, and also removed all Vlan interfaces from the layer 2 switches, as these are not needed.

Check the revised, working project file...(you need PT version 7.3.0).

I look into the revised project. Thank you for taking your time to make a correction, but however, now the PC members within VLAN cannot ping each other.

VLANs are actually needed to be created on every involved switches in the network. The solution was that I needed to assign an unique IP address whenever it is necessary.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card