cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to connect two serial port with RJ45

wfqk
Level 5
Level 5

Hi As we know, if we want to connect two router's serial port together, we need DTE/DCE cable to connect. But now I only have serial card in each of two routers(Please see the picture). Can I connect the two card together? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The two cards represent different generations of the technology. The one that just shows up is more simple and has less functionality, it does only serial T1. The one that requires you to configure the card is more recent, more complex and has more functionality (it can do more than just T1 on the serial interface). Some of them will do E1 in addition to T1. Some of them will allow you to configure a serial interface using channels 1 through 4 and another serial interface with channels 5 through 12, for example. So it requires that you configure the controller to specify the functionality that you want.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To connect two serial cards like these you need a T1 crossover cable. Note that the pin out for T1 crossover is different from an Ethernet crossover so you can not just use Ethernet crossover but must pin the connector in the correct order. Or you must obtain a correct T1 crossover cable.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Just want to add the note, don't forget when you do two serials back-to-back, you'll need to enable clocking on one of them.

Thank you both for your reply. I inserted another serial card(Please see picture) into the router2811. I can see the second card' interface immediately, which looks like "Serial0/0/0" when show ip interface brief. But I need to configure T1 for the first card before I can see it. then I can see something like "Serial0/1/0:0" . The two cards are all labeled "T1"  My question is what is difference between the two cards? Do you think the both types of the card need the same way to connect?  

The two cards represent different generations of the technology. The one that just shows up is more simple and has less functionality, it does only serial T1. The one that requires you to configure the card is more recent, more complex and has more functionality (it can do more than just T1 on the serial interface). Some of them will do E1 in addition to T1. Some of them will allow you to configure a serial interface using channels 1 through 4 and another serial interface with channels 5 through 12, for example. So it requires that you configure the controller to specify the functionality that you want.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card