Views
Helpful
Replies

How to load balance effectively on different delays on links thru EIGRP

bryandizon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I'm in a bit of dilemma here, how can i effectively load balance my network traffic by eigrp, voice and data, on unequal quality links. To clarify, i have two links with different delay (due to the ISP) but same bandwidth. By default, eigrp will route all our traffic to the best link and the other will occasionally be used. To maximize our links what we did is use route-maps for data traffic to use the link with higher delay and leave the other traffic (voice) to the low delay link.

One problem with the route-maps, if the link with high delay would go down, we have to manually remove the route-map on the interface, i would prefer an automatic way of doing this, and by default eigrp would re-converge but the problem if we leave eigrp on default all our traffic will be routed to the low delay link.

If this has been answered before, I apologize and please redirect me to those post.

Thanks and appreciate any help.

Bryan

15 Replies 15

bryandizon
Level 1
Level 1

Additional:

We don't exactly need equal load-balancing per se on the links, we just want to utilize both links with preference for the low latency link for voice and data for the higher delay link and fail-over when one of them would have issues.

Thanks guys for your inputs and keep them coming. I have been learning a lot from them too.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card