cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to monitor eBGP between Cisco ISR4431/K9 and ISP PE

pradeep-ra
Level 1
Level 1

How to monitor eBGP between Cisco ISR4431/K9 and ISP PE (Indirect MonitoringEBGP indirect monitoringEBGP indirect monitoring )

• I have a Cisco ISR4431/K9 CPE connected to an ISP CPE using eBGP.
  • The ISP CPE establishes another eBGP session with an ISP PE router.
  • I don't have direct access to the ISP PE and ISP CE routers.
  • I want to monitor the eBGP session between my ISR4431/K9 and the ISP PE (indirectly).
  • I have access to my Datacenter gateway router where the ISP cloud terminates.

16 Replies 16

ok , so EMM script will not work on our CPE?

we do have access of gateway router on DC  , can DC router play any role in our case .

ISP is terminating on DC router .

Jonny Bacoz
Level 1
Level 1

To effectively monitor the eBGP session between your Cisco ISR4431/K9 and the ISP PE router, there are several methods that can be utilized through your access to the datacenter gateway router. One option is to set up SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) on both the ISR4431/K9 and the datacenter gateway router to keep track of BGP states and receive notifications about any changes in the BGP session. By configuring SNMP traps or polling, you can stay informed about the status of your eBGP sessions and promptly address any issues that arise. Another approach is to leverage NetFlow or similar network traffic monitoring tools to analyze BGP-related traffic patterns and identify any irregularities that could indicate problems with the eBGP session. Additionally, configuring BGP logging on the ISR4431/K9 to record BGP state changes and events, and then sending this information to a syslog server for further analysis and monitoring, can be beneficial. Lastly, consider utilizing network management and monitoring tools such as Cisco Prime or SolarWinds, which provide comprehensive BGP monitoring capabilities, enabling you to visualize the BGP topology and effectively monitor session states and performance metrics. By combining these various methods, you can establish a robust system for indirectly monitoring the eBGP session between your Cisco ISR4431/K9 and the ISP PE router.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card