Views
Helpful
Replies

How to monitor the quality of WAN link?

nguyenthinh
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have a basic problem; my remote site has unstable link so the VoIP system can't work well.

Do you have any way to monitor the quality of WAN link:

• How to track  the paths that packets travel from source to destination? (each packet has different path to reach the same destination)
  • How to track the sequence of packet? (tcp/udp packets reach the destination with the wrong sequence)

Thanks You very much for helping me!

5 Replies 5

eduardopozo56
Level 1
Level 1

You can ise Cisco IP SLA to monitor the following:

Delay (both round-trip and one-way)

•Jitter (directional)

•Packet loss (directional)

•Packet sequencing (packet ordering)

•Path (per hop)

•Connectivity (directional)

•Server or website download time

It depends on your platform and what you want to monitor, but the basic configuration guide for IOS is here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_4/ip_sla/configuration/guide/hsla_c/hsicmp.html

Thanks you so much eduardopozo56 !

Cisco IP SLA works greate! 

However, I need a software to store the tracking log, generate the report... Cloud You show me something like this?

Most netflow and network performance analytic have tools to monitor Cisco IP SLA, Solarwinds, for example, has a free one (Note: I'm not related in any way with Solarwinds and I have never personally tested this tool, I just Googled it):

http://www.solarwinds.com/products/freetools/ip_sla_monitor/

But i think the free version does not include reporting....

IP SLA's have a MIB to fetch all the results by SNMP, if you already have any sort of SNMP server monitoring your network, you could use it to get the data from the IP SLA MIB and store it

jatinder sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Please use IP SLA feature to monitor jitter and packet loss on link.

if you want to fetch reports  of bandwidth utilization, errors on link ,then use below link to down load PRTG tool.it is monitoring tool and generates reports .

https://shop.paessler.com/shop/free_license/?showkey=1&download=1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As the other posters have noted, IP SLA is an excellent feature for doing all kinds of quality monitoring.  However, besides finding a tool that can "nicely" report on SLA stats, you'll probably want one that can also define the SLA tests too.  (Unfortunately, I don't have a recommendation for such a tool.)

BTW, if different packets are taking different paths and/or often arriving out of sequence, you probably have some device with multiple egress paths doing packet-by-packet load balancing, which can cause all kinds of performance issues.  You might also be able to find that device by using a simple traceroute.  Look for hops with multiple paths.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card